Pastors and Ministry Leaders,
There will be two regional meetings to present the DS selection survey data; similar to what was discussed at Momentum. The meetings will be held this Sunday evening, October 29 at 6:00pm. One meeting will be held at Harrisburg Bethany Church, 1605 Parkway West, Harrisburg, PA 17112 and the other at Burlington Church, 704 Sunset Road, Burlington, NJ 08016.
At each meeting representatives from the district advisory committee will be available to answer questions and have an open discussion about the process of selecting district superintendent candidates.
We invite anyone, Pastors, Ministry Leaders and Parishioners to attend this time of information and discussion. Please forward this information to your congregations.
District Advisory Committee Chairman
Recently, there was a survey at Survey Monkey that everyone was encouraged to participate in. This Survey was sent out in emails and was also on the district’s website (www.philanaz.org). The Process Committee has been working with the information gathered from the 50+ people and/or churches who participated in completing the survey as well as the information gathered at District Assembly. A summary of that material and its implications will be presented at Momentum on October 21 by Scott Cook. There will also be two regional meetings; one at Burlington, NJ and the other at Harrisburg Bethany. Both meetings will be on October 29 at 6:00 p.m. The District Advisory Process Committee is open to receiving any additional comments or suggestions at any of these meetings.
After the regional meetings, you will receive copies of two documents (The District Profile and The DS Profile). The profiles will be widely distributed for the solicitation of names as nominees for our new DS. We will appreciate any help you can give forwarding these documents to those in your congregations.
I have attached a summary sheet of our activity with target dates as well as the District Advisory Process Committee’s projected meetings. Please put these dates on your calendar and pray regularly for this continuing process.
Thank you for your continued prayers for the Process Committee, the work they are doing, and for God's direction as we continue this important task of identifying nominations for our next District Superintendent.
In accordance with Manual (¶207 and ¶236) the District Advisory Committee (DAC) met on April 18, 2017 to analyze and select a procedure for the selection of the successor of our beloved District Superintendent, Newell Smith. As outlined by the Manual, the members of the committee include the DAB, District NMI President, District NYI President, and District SDMI Chairman, District Secretary and District Treasurer. Dr. Robert Broadbrooks, Regional Director for USA and Canada, presented detailed options for the process. After hearing the options, the DAC voted unanimously to follow the process that shall include:
1) The appointment of two committees
A. Prayer Committee - which will be responsible to engage all the churches, both pastors and people, in intercessory prayer for the DS Selection process leading to next years (2018) DA vote.
B. Process Committee - is responsible to define and guide in the collection of information that will lead to the selection of a candidate or candidates that will be on the ballot presented to the 2018 DA for the election of the DS.
2) It is anticipated that the Process Committee will use as many means as possible (focus groups, Momentum, PCDC, electronic surveys, one-on-one discussions, etc.) to collect essential information to define who we are as a District and what we believe the future of our ministry will require. We will then translate that into the essential characteristics that will be required of our future DS. We would like to hear from every church, pastor, or layman that can contribute to the establishing our understanding of the district and what will be essential characteristics of our new DS.
3) Although all the details of how and when data will be collected are not yet defined, it is anticipated that we will have a very open process in collecting data for the two documents will come out of the research: District Profile and a Profile of the Perspective DS. These two documents will be openly and cooperatively developed and then presented to the pastors and churches of this district prior to the District Assembly (DA) and then reviewed again at the DA in 2018.
4) We will make the Profile of the Prospective DS readily available (anticipate that the Profile will be available at Momentum and thereafter) to anyone anywhere who would like to know the type of person we want as our DS. In turn, we will receive names from anyone anywhere that is believed to fit the profile (laymen, pastors, churches, other DS’s and any GS who would like to render a name. All names will be vetted by the DAC. The DAC will hold all names in confidence at all times and will neither verify nor deny that a name remains on the working list of candidates. The “short list” of candidate names will be submitted to the office of the Regional Director Dr. Robert Broadbrooks and to the GS’s for further vetting. All names of candidates will be held in highest confidence until all vetting is complete.
5) Immediately prior to the 2018 District Assembly any and all candidates who have made the final cut will be notified that they are under consideration and will be interviewed and provided statistical and financial information by the DAC before they are finally approved as candidates to be presented to the DA. All candidates must be elders in the Church of the Nazarene who have never surrendered his or her credentials for disciplinary reasons.
6) The DAC will make a presentation of its findings and nomination(s) to the 2018 DA. After all questions and concerns have been answered, a ballot will be distributed to the DA delegates with the name or names of candidates the DAC recommends plus a blank line for write-in candidates from the floor of the Assembly.
Submitted by DAC Policy Committee