In accordance with Manual (¶207 and ¶236) the District Advisory Committee (DAC) met on April 18, 2017 to analyze and select a procedure for the selection of the successor of our beloved District Superintendent, Newell Smith. As outlined by the Manual, the members of the committee include the DAB, District NMI President, District NYI President, and District SDMI Chairman, District Secretary and District Treasurer. Dr. Robert Broadbrooks, Regional Director for USA and Canada, presented detailed options for the process. After hearing the options, the DAC voted unanimously to follow the process that shall include:
1) The appointment of two committees
A. Prayer Committee - which will be responsible to engage all the churches, both pastors and people, in intercessory prayer for the DS Selection process leading to next years (2018) DA vote.
B. Process Committee - is responsible to define and guide in the collection of information that will lead to the selection of a candidate or candidates that will be on the ballot presented to the 2018 DA for the election of the DS.
2) It is anticipated that the Process Committee will use as many means as possible (focus groups, Momentum, PCDC, electronic surveys, one-on-one discussions, etc.) to collect essential information to define who we are as a District and what we believe the future of our ministry will require. We will then translate that into the essential characteristics that will be required of our future DS. We would like to hear from every church, pastor, or layman that can contribute to the establishing our understanding of the district and what will be essential characteristics of our new DS.
3) Although all the details of how and when data will be collected are not yet defined, it is anticipated that we will have a very open process in collecting data for the two documents will come out of the research: District Profile and a Profile of the Perspective DS. These two documents will be openly and cooperatively developed and then presented to the pastors and churches of this district prior to the District Assembly (DA) and then reviewed again at the DA in 2018.
4) We will make the Profile of the Prospective DS readily available (anticipate that the Profile will be available at Momentum and thereafter) to anyone anywhere who would like to know the type of person we want as our DS. In turn, we will receive names from anyone anywhere that is believed to fit the profile (laymen, pastors, churches, other DS’s and any GS who would like to render a name. All names will be vetted by the DAC. The DAC will hold all names in confidence at all times and will neither verify nor deny that a name remains on the working list of candidates. The “short list” of candidate names will be submitted to the office of the Regional Director Dr. Robert Broadbrooks and to the GS’s for further vetting. All names of candidates will be held in highest confidence until all vetting is complete.
5) Immediately prior to the 2018 District Assembly any and all candidates who have made the final cut will be notified that they are under consideration and will be interviewed and provided statistical and financial information by the DAC before they are finally approved as candidates to be presented to the DA. All candidates must be elders in the Church of the Nazarene who have never surrendered his or her credentials for disciplinary reasons.
6) The DAC will make a presentation of its findings and nomination(s) to the 2018 DA. After all questions and concerns have been answered, a ballot will be distributed to the DA delegates with the name or names of candidates the DAC recommends plus a blank line for write-in candidates from the floor of the Assembly.
Submitted by DAC Policy Committee